Background of Mahatma Gandhi NREGA Odisha
- The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act-2005 was notified by Government of India on September 7, 2005.
- By amendment, NREG Act has been changed to "The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act" w.e.f. 2nd October, 2009.
- This Act is a milestone towards realisation of right to work.
- By the notification of this Act, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee scheme (MGNREGS) came into force all over India w.e.f. 02.02.2006.
- In Odisha, this scheme which was launched in 19 Districts (Bolangir, Boudh, Deogarh, Dhenkanal, Gajapati, Ganjam, Jharsuguda, Kalahandi, Kandhamal, Keonjhar, Koraput, Malkangir, Mayurbhanj, Nabarangpur, Nuapada, Rayagada, Sambalpur, Sonepur and Sundargarh) on 02.02.2006, extended to another 5 Districts (Angul, Balasore, Bargarh, Bhadrak and Jajpur) with effect from 01.04.2007, again extended to another 6 Districts (Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Khordha, Nayagarh and Puri) with effect from 01.04.2008.
Now it is being in all 30 districts with effect from. 01.04.2008.